I got an e-mail the other day from CPS. I think I was put on their mail list a while back from applying online for a business education job. I never got a call from a principal, though - I am assuming because I didn't student teach there and there aren't tons of business education opportunities in the district.
I RSVP'd back that I'll be attending one of the later information sessions. I decided to go with one in a spring month rather than now - this weather is taking a toll on me and I am in no hurry since I don't graduate for until December anyways. I'm pretty excited about it. In the e-mail, they say that it covers a variety of things.
Among them, it goes over:
-an overview of the hiring process
-advice from CPS teachers and administrators
-compensation and benefits
-resources and support (such as housing support)
-tips regarding CPS career fairs
I definitely think that all of this information will be highly useful to me. I especially want to hear an overview of the hiring process and tips for the CPS career fair. While I have no issue with taking a job from any school within CPS - I, of course, would prefer to get one closer to my apartment since I'll probably be taking public transportation.
I've been talking with my brother lately, who is a psychologist within CPS. He loves his job, by the way. He said that certain positions within the position are of "critical need" - so much so that they are exempt from CPS' residency requirement. I saw that school librarians happen to fall within the critical need category, and thus (at least for now) are exempt from residing in Chicago. All of this has gotten me thinking, though, about whether or not I plan on staying in Chicago after graduation or moving to the suburbs if I do obtain a job within the district. I'm thinking of staying in Chicago. Perhaps it's the 25 year-old in me, but every time I visit my mom in Palatine I find it to be a fairly dull town. I grew up in the suburbs and between that and my four years in Normal at ISU, I've spent enough time in the suburbs and small towns. I'm also beginning to feel a bit attached to this city.
If you stumble upon this site and are curious about the information session or even any other type of CPS job related event, visit the CPS human resource website and look at the events calendar page. I'd post a copy of the image in my e-mail - but I'd rather be on the safe side in terms of copyright! It's my new librarian mentality :)
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment