Monday, July 13, 2009

On creating a blog - LIS 724


In January, I decided to start my own blog. I had created several online journals back when I was a teen (diaryland.com and livejournal come to mind) but the only "blog" I had ever created was a wordpress one for my LIS 704 Reference class. If you want to check that one out, it's located at http://www.medicallibrarianship.wordpress.com/.


Ultimately, I decided to create a blog through blogger due to its simplicity. When I made a blog through wordpress, I felt more inclined to have it look "pretty", adding all sorts of images and extra things I may not have needed since there are SO many things it seems you can do with wordpress blogs. The blog I created on blogger was my own little diary outlining my path to school librarianship, and since pictures aren't really involved with that, I figured I'd just keep it plain and go with a more standard blog....not that you can't add pictures to blogger blogs :) Just for fun I added a picture of my best friend and me! (I hadn't added any pictures yet to this blog...so that was kind of exciting!) I also changed my template from the standard one blogger chooses for you -- I like this one a whole lot more!
I did a google search for "library blogs" to find additional blogs to check out. I came across yalibrarian.com, which was recommended to me by another website. I thought the blog was really interesting, I found myself reading more than just a couple articles. It is ran not by one YA librarian, but instead by many. YA librarians can "join" the blog site and contribute, or simply comment on the blog posts written by the regular contributors. The blog even has links to other blogs/websites that the YA librarians like. I do think that the blog could be updated a little more - but other than that I found it to be incredibly interesting and fun to read and I feel inclined to check out a couple of their recommended books!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea of journaling your thoughts as you go through the library program - I enjoyed reading them.

    Haven't heard of your yalibrarian blog but I'm going to check it out. I find looking at blogs every now and then keeps me current and broadens my outlook on all things library.

    ReplyDelete